Friday, March 14, 2008

A hard worker and his reward

When Reid has his mind set on something he is a willing hard worker! I purchased this game at Costco yesterday afternoon - put it away in a kitchen cupboard, not hidden, but away, and Reid saw it within an hour of me being home. I told the kids this was a treat to be earned and Reid was determined he wanted to earn it himself, but let everyone play it. This is a game that was #1 on his Christmas list - it was all he really wanted, but the release date contined to be moved back and finally it is available for purchase. Here are some of things he did yesterday and today:
cleaned inside microwave, dusted mini-blinds, picked up toys in the backyard, cleaned kitchen sink, bathroom counters/sinks, straighten video games and movies, sliding glass door, brought dirty clothes downstairs to laundry room, wiped down top of refrigerator, cleaned bedroom, emptied and loaded dishwasher, wiped baseboards, played a fun game with little brother while mom got some work done, took out garbage and recycle, put shoes in shoe basket, wiped down staircase banister and walls in stairwell, swept outside our front door and sidewalk by street, straighten computer desk...
As you can see all of these chores are age appropriate for a ten year old. At our house I add up dollar value for chores more by the childs attitude than by perfection of task completion. I will give more to a child who is willing to try than a child who asks all day, "If I do this, how much money will I get paid?" Attitude is everything!
Reid really worked hard yesterday...He was asking for more things to do at 9 p.m. when his dad told him he needed to stop and go to bed. So what did Reid do? He put the dusting cloth and spray on his desk next to his bed so he could start up again right when he woke up! James woke me up at 6 a.m. to tell me Reid was up dusting his bedroom blinds! Cracks me up! So-he did a few more things this morning, paid his tithing and now is enjoying his new game. And yes, he is letting his two little brothers play too! Great job Reidy!

5 comments:

Jo-Anne said...

What a wonderful young man. I hope he enjoys his well deserved game! :)

michelle said...

If Reid happens to run out of things to do, he can head my direction! :) He sounds like such a great helper! :) Have a happy Friday! :)

Anonymous said...

This is great! Seriously...I know grown men who don't do as much! Way to go Reid! A job well done deserves high praise indeed!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Heather Mae the DIY Gal said...

You are giving me some really good ideas for getting MY kids to do their chores, and not do a halfway job.

Congrats on such great kids doing well at home, church, and school!